What is QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a crucial component of the QuickBooks software that is used to host and manage company files. It ensures the smooth functioning of QuickBooks and provides access to the data stored in QuickBooks to multiple users at the same time. The database server manager also provides automatic backup of the QuickBooks data, ensuring that the data is safe and secure. In this article, we will take a look at what QBDSM is, its key features, and the various steps involved in downloading, installing, and updating the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Basically, QB Database Server Manager is a server application that is installed on the host computer where the QuickBooks company files are stored. This application helps to manage the access and security of QuickBooks company files by maintaining a database of all the users who have access to the files. It is responsible for monitoring the activity of QuickBooks, ensuring that all the data is backed up, and providing access to multiple users at the same time.
Key Features of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
User Management: QBDSM provides administrators with the ability to manage and control user access to the QuickBooks company files. This feature allows administrators to add, modify, or delete users, as well as control their level of access to company files.
Data Backup and Recovery: QBDSM provides automatic backup and recovery of the QuickBooks company files, ensuring that data is safe and secure in the event of a system failure or other data loss. Administrators can schedule backups to run at regular intervals, or perform manual backups as needed.
Performance Optimization: The Database Server Manager is designed to optimize the performance of QuickBooks by reducing the load on the host computer. This includes features such as efficient data storage and retrieval, optimized use of system resources, and enhanced data processing speeds.
Remote Access: QB Database Server Manager allows users to access their QuickBooks company files from any location, using remote access tools such as remote desktop software or web-based interfaces. This feature provides increased flexibility and accessibility, enabling users to access their data from anywhere, at any time.
Data Encryption: QuickBooks Server Manager uses advanced encryption algorithms to protect the data stored in QuickBooks company files. This feature ensures that sensitive information is protected from unauthorized access, theft, or other data breaches.
Monitoring and Reporting: Database Server Manager provides administrators with real-time monitoring and reporting capabilities, allowing them to monitor the performance and usage of QuickBooks, identify any potential issues, and take proactive steps to resolve them.
Compatibility: QuickBooks Database Server Manager is compatible with a wide range of operating systems and hardware configurations, including Windows and Mac computers, as well as various server configurations. This allows administrators to easily integrate QuickBooks Database Server Manager into their existing IT infrastructure.
Why QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
While working in a network you have to send multiple files to multiple users and it is impossible to do so if you do not have a database server manager. QuickBooks allows you to set up multiple users. They can send and receive files at the same time without any delays. If you have QuickBooks installed on your server, you do not need to worry about installing any other server manager.
Automated Installation of Database Server Manager through QuickBooks
Installing QuickBooks on your computer is not as complicated as it seems. The very first step to install its desktop version is by selecting the option “Custom and Install”. You can choose to make one of the computers your server/host. By connecting all other computers with the host you’ll create a network that will allow the transmission of files.
It isn’t always necessary that you can only run QuickBooks through host computers you can do that through other connected nodes (workstations). All you need to do is select the option to choose between host computer or not for the usage of QuickBooks desktop. QuickBooks Database Server Manager will be automatically installed along with the complete installation of QuickBooks.
Permission Setup to Access the Files Over the Network
Accessibility of files has been made easier through this setup. In the host computer, there’s a folder that includes all the company files. During installation, you need to set up the permission so that workstations can easily access them without facing any issues.
Apart from this, with every version, a new user window has been created. So, whenever someone creates a user, you can identify it and check the profile. In QuickBooks the format for it is QBDataServiceUserXX. XX is used to represent the year related to the product.
Every computer has a firewall and Anti-virus installed. These can block this service so whenever you setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager you need to set up permissions to let it run smoothly on your system.
Scanning of Folders
It is always considered a best practice to scan all your folders before you transmit/share the files. To run a proper scan you need to go through the following steps:
- On your desktop open “Start” menu
- You’ll see a search bar at the bottom. Write ‘Database’ it will give you the list of software installed, from them chose QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- There’s also an alternate way of launching it by just selecting Programs from the start menu and then clicking on the folder QuickBooks after this click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- After this, a window will appear. At the top of that window, you’ll select the option ‘Scan Folders’
- Your next step will be to click on the option “Browse.”
- Then select the location of the files within your computer and hit Scan.
- Since this database server manager is efficient it will not take a lot of time in fact in a couple of minutes it will scan the files. The selected files now will be shown as QuickBooks Company Files Found.
- After this scanning process, files can be accessed via other computers.
Drives Can Be Monitored Easily
This solution is not only capable of exchanging files, but you can also monitor drives. With the help of this feature, you do not need to scan files every time you change the location or make other changes. What you need to do is select the files that you needed to monitor. This feature only works for local drives so you need to make sure the data is stored in them. Mapped drives cannot be monitored by it.
Steps to Follow:
- At the top tab in QuickBooks Database Server Manager select ‘Monitored Devices’
- Then select the drives that are needed to be monitored from the server/host computer. Make sure the drives that you have selected have company files in them.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager Usage
Other than sending files and managing drives there are a number of uses of this solution:
- You can check the number of files connected to the network.
- Numbers of active users logged in.
- Identification of the location of Database Server Manager on your computer
What you need to do is go to Database Server Manager Window and then click on the option System and check the location of the server.
How To Solve QuickBooks Database Server Manager Problem
Sometimes, you encounter a problem while using the server manager. To solve this problem you can restart QuickBooks to solve it or use another method. Following are the steps to solve a problem through the software:
- Go to QuickBooks and select File.
- Then select open or restore company.
- Your next step would be to select the option ‘Open a company file’.
- Find your company file and then select Next.
- Mark the box that says Open file in multi-user mode.
- Log in with your user credentials
- Afterward, log off your user by selecting ‘File’ and selecting ‘log off.’
Restart Database Server Manager
To restart the QB Database server manager you need to follow these steps:
- Open the start menu, then go to ‘Control Panel.’
- Select the option ‘Administrative Tools’ and open it.
- Then select the option Services.
- Search for the service named QUICKBOOKSDBXX, in this service XX is the year of the QuickBooks product.
- The last step is to choose the service and then select restart.
If you want to set up a multi-user, then this tool is the right choice for you. It not only monitors the usage of users, but it also monitors the drives. It allows users to transfer files at the same time without any hurdles. It is secure and you can easily investigate the connected workstations for instance how many active numbers of users are there. The Database Server Manager has all that you need for your company’s daily transactions.
How to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Go to the QuickBooks website and log in to your account. Navigate to the downloads section and select the option for QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Once you have reached the QuickBooks download page, you will need to select the appropriate version of QB Database Server Manager for your computer. QuickBooks offers both Windows and Mac versions of the software, so be sure to select the version that is compatible with your operating system.
- After selecting the appropriate version, click on the “Download” button to initiate the download process. The installation file will be saved to your computer, typically in your “Downloads” folder.
- Run the installation file from your “Downloads” folder and double-click on the installation file to run it. The installation process will begin, and you will be prompted to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager: how to setup QuickBooks database server manager will require you to accept the license agreement, select the installation location, and configure any additional options, such as adding or modifying users.
In conclusion, Database Server Manager offers a comprehensive set of features that provide administrators with the tools they need to manage and secure their QuickBooks company files, this article must have briefed you on how to use QuickBooks database server manager. To get further assistance with issues you encounter with QBSM please contact on 24/7 QuickBooks Support Number.